Our Building & Property
Scarboro United's History
In 1925, the Government of Canada passed the "United Church of Canada Act", bringing together the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregationalist churches in Canada.
Bankview Presbyterian Church, located at 2116 - 16A Street, changed its name to Bankview United Church and Scarboro Methodist Church, located at the NW corner of 17th & Scarboro Avenues became Scarboro United Church. The two United Churches merged on September 12, 1927, under the name of Bankview-Scarboro United Church. Originally, worship services were held at the old Bankview site and Sunday School and other church activities were held at the Scarboro Ave location. Clearly, it made sense to consolidate the two congregations and in 1929 the current building site was purchased for $2,250. The original manse was across the street at 103 Scarboro Ave but in 1945, Scarboro church replaced its tennis courts with a new manse.
Future Building Project
Repurpose, Renew and Refresh .....
Phase 1 - completed!
- The Church Manager’s office has been relocated to the West entry by the mailboxes to create an office and reception area.
- The Minister’s office has been moved, along with other administrative offices, to the hallway across from the social room.
- The previous Church Manager’s office has been converted to a meeting space that has taken on the duties of the previous ‘Blue Room.’
- The Minister’s office has been converted into a library and meeting space.
- The Social room has been transformed into a “multi-purpose” space, doing double duty as the Children’s Worship Space on Sundays, and creating a brand new Nursery next door, and additional storage.
- The two washrooms on the upper level, next to the Sanctuary have been renovated and made barrier-free and gender neutral.
- The exterior facade of the Scarboro Avenue side of the Sanctuary has been restored.
- New cedar shingle roofing was installed on the steeple, manse, and Sanctuary roofs.
Phase 2 - completed!
- Complete renovation of the Memorial Hall: restructuring of the roof trusses, new cedar shingle roofing, new drywall, acoustic wall covering, new lighting and fans, fabulous new enlarged windows, refinished floors, and new storage, mechanical and janitorial spaces to replace the old stage.
- In recognition of the longstanding legacy of Marilyn Perkins, our beloved former choir director and long-time Church Administrator, the Hall (“gym”) has been renamed to honour her memory, along with the original dedication to those who fought in the World Wars: Welcome to the “Marilyn Perkins – Memorial Hall”
- The old bathrooms and ‘Blue Room’ have been removed and reconfigured to create an accessible family washroom, as well as a large, multi-user gender-neutral washroom with 6 private cubicles. We have also added a water fountain in the hallway.
- The hallway and entrance to the Marilyn Perkins – Memorial Hall received new flooring, lighting, and paint, and have been enlarged by removing the stairway to the lower level. Access to the lower level is now via the West stairwell across from the Chapel, through a newly configured multi-use room.
- The kitchen and bathroom of the caretaker’s suite have been updated.
- One of the two stairwells from the old stage to the lower level has been removed and closed off to make more usable space upstairs and down.
- The lower level hallway has been freshly painted.
Accessible West Entrance - completed!
The West Entrance on 15th Avenue has been renovated to include a ramp providing accessible entry to the Middle Level and directly into the Memorial Hall. A canopy complimenting the historical architecture of the church has been added over the West Entrance. This goes a long way towards our commitment to becoming a barrier free, inclusive and accessible building.
Windows & Doors - completed!
- The bank of windows in the stairwell at the back of the Sanctuary, and the kitchen window, have been replaced.
- The windows in the King Room on the lower level have been replaced.
- Restoration of stained glass windows is ongoing, as is refinishing of the exterior trim around the Sanctuary windows.
- The wooden exterior doors on Scarboro Avenue and at the West Entrance have been refinished. A new steel door has been installed at the North Entrance to the lower level.
- The elevator between the Upper and Middle levels has also been upgraded.
Lower Level Improvements - completed!
- The King Room has received new flooring, lighting, paint, and the kitchenette has been updated. The space has been thoroughly decluttered with the assistance of our long time rental groups.
- Seedlings Spanish Daycare has finished their renovation of the eastern portion of the lower level with several bright & cheerful classroom spaces, reconfigured washrooms, flooring, paint, lighting and ventilation. They also have a designated section of the yard, behind the Memorial Garden, and a second exterior exit. The daycare is a welcome addition to our building.
Parlour Update - in progress!
The Ladies Parlour is getting an update with fresh flooring and paint, and reconfigured furnishings.
What amount can you give to support these exciting changes at Scarboro? Click on the 'Donate Now' logo in the footer for immediate online donations through CanadaHelps.
Direct your questions to [email protected].