Our Building & Property
Scarboro United's History
In 1925, the Government of Canada passed the "United Church of Canada Act", bringing together the Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregationalist churches in Canada.
Bankview Presbyterian Church, located at 2116 - 16A Street, changed its name to Bankview United Church and Scarboro Methodist Church, located at the NW corner of 17th & Scarboro Avenues became Scarboro United Church. The two United Churches merged on September 12, 1927, under the name of Bankview-Scarboro United Church. Originally, worship services were held at the old Bankview site and Sunday School and other church activities were held at the Scarboro Ave location. Clearly, it made sense to consolidate the two congregations and in 1929 the current building site was purchased for $2,250. The original manse was across the street at 103 Scarboro Ave but in 1945, Scarboro church replaced its tennis courts with a new manse.
Future Building Project
Repurpose, Renew and Refresh .....
Phase 1 - completed!
- The Church Manager’s office has been relocated to the West entry by the mailboxes to create an office and reception area.
- The Minister’s office has been moved, along with other administrative offices, to the hallway across from the social room.
- The previous Church Manager’s office has been converted to a meeting space that has taken on the duties of the previous ‘Blue Room.’
- The Minister’s office has been converted into a library and meeting space.
- The Social room has been transformed into a “multi-purpose” space, doing double duty as the Children’s Worship Space on Sundays, and creating a brand new Nursery next door, and additional storage.
- The two washrooms on the upper level, next to the Sanctuary have been renovated and made barrier-free and gender neutral.
- The exterior facade of the Scarboro Avenue side of the Sanctuary has been restored.
- New cedar shingle roofing was installed on the steeple, manse, and Sanctuary roofs.
Phase 2 - completed!
- Complete renovation of the Memorial Hall: restructuring of the roof trusses, new cedar shingle roofing, new drywall, acoustic wall covering, new lighting and fans, fabulous new enlarged windows, refinished floors, and new storage, mechanical and janitorial spaces to replace the old stage.
- In recognition of the longstanding legacy of Marilyn Perkins, our beloved former choir director and long-time Church Administrator, the Hall (“gym”) has been renamed to honour her memory, along with the original dedication to those who fought in the World Wars: Welcome to the “Marilyn Perkins – Memorial Hall”
- The old bathrooms and ‘Blue Room’ have been removed and reconfigured to create an accessible family washroom, as well as a large, multi-user gender-neutral washroom with 6 private cubicles. We have also added a water fountain in the hallway.
- The hallway and entrance to the Marilyn Perkins – Memorial Hall received new flooring, lighting, and paint, and have been enlarged by removing the stairway to the lower level. Access to the lower level is now via the West stairwell across from the Chapel, through a newly configured multi-use room.
- The kitchen and bathroom of the caretaker’s suite have been updated.
- One of the two stairwells from the old stage to the lower level has been removed and closed off to make more usable space upstairs and down.
- The lower level hallway has been freshly painted.
We will pause for a moment to enjoy these new spaces and the ministries that they allow for and enhance.
There are still more projects to tackle (a ramp on the West entrance to make the building more accessible, a kitchen update, upgrades to our elevator and a new lift up to the library, and refurbishing the Parlour and the lower level) and we will continue to raise funds for the remaining future renovation phases.
What amount can you give to support these exciting changes at Scarboro? Click on the 'Donate Now' logo in the footer for immediate online donations through CanadaHelps.
Direct your questions to [email protected].