Give Back to Scarboro
Many Ways to Give
There are many ways to give back and support the programs and ministries at Scarboro United Church:
- Read about Making Your Intention for the 2020 Giving Program
- Download a Response Card for to make your pledge to the 2020 Giving Program
- Join the Stewarding Our Future Mission Team
Gifts of Publicly Traded Securities
Did you know that gifts of publicly traded securities are an attractive option for donors? When you transfer to the United Church gifts of shares, bonds, bills, warrants, futures, or units of mutual funds listed on a prescribed public stock exchange, you will not pay tax on any capital gain. Because you also qualify for a charitable tax receipt based on the asset’s fair market value, the net cost of a gift of securities may be less than a gift of an equivalent amount of cash.
The process of gifting securities is simple. At your direction, your broker will electronically transfer your securities to the church through The United Church of Canada Foundation. The Foundation then sells the stock on the day your gift is received. Based on the sale price, the Foundation issues you a charitable tax receipt for 100 percent of the funds received. The Foundation then directs the proceeds of the sale to whatever United Church congregation, program, or ministry you wish. There is a very small fee for this service.
Benefits of a Gift of Publicly Traded Securities
- You have the satisfaction of knowing your gift will support the transformational ministry.
- The church benefits from your gift now.
- You make a gift without depleting your current bank account.
- You receive a tax receipt for the full fair market value of your gift.
- You avoid capital gains on any gift of securities.
To facilitate your gift, please contact Sarah Charters at [email protected] 1-800-268-3781 extension 3410 extension 2026. To receive a tax receipt for the 2015 calendar year, donors have to initiate the transaction by December 28th.
Donate to Scarboro through of the purchase of Gift Cards
You can purchase Calgary Co-op Gift Cards in denominations of $25, $50, or $100 on the first and third Sundays of the month at coffee time - or throughout the week from the church office - while supplies last. This is a simple way for the church to earn 9% return while you make your regular grocery and gas purchases.
Scarboro participates in a gift card fundraising program called FundScrip. The gift cards themselves come from some of Canada’s largest retailers. They are sold at face value, but earn rebates ranging from 2%- 15% of the purchase price of the cards, that go directly to the church!
Monthly giving is a great way to express your commitment to the ongoing ministries at Scarboro United. Your gift keeps coming even when you are away, which makes it a lot easier for Scarboro United to plan the programs that change lives, enrich our community, develop leaders and offer spiritual nurture. You can change the amount or cancel at any time. A receipt is issued at the end of the year. There are three ways to give to Scarboro United Church:
- In Person: Fill in a Giving envelope in the pew and drop it into the offering plate during the service with your cash or cheque donation enclosed.
- E-Transfer: Donate to Scarboro right from your online banking platform. Send offerings to [email protected] and drop a completed Giving envelope into the offering plate during the service. (Please indicate "donation" in the message field when sending an E-transfer.)
- Pre-Authorized Remitance (PAR): Set regular monthly offerings to be debited directly from your account. This helps you stay current on your pledge and helps the church manage expenses.
To make a one-time gift, you can write a cheque made out to "Scarboro United Church" or donate online through Canada Helps.
Please put your cheque in an envelope, place it in the offering box at one our services, drop it off at the church office during the week, or mail it to:
Scarboro United Church
134 Scarboro Avenue SW
Calgary AB, T3C 2H1
Sign up for our Friday E-Newsletter
Receive the latest updates and information to help you stay connected to your church community.