March 28 - April 3
Then they came to a place named Gethsemane. Jesus said to them, “Sit down here while I pray.” Jesus took along with him Peter, James and John. Then he began to be very distressed and troubled, and said to them, “My heart is filled with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch.” Jesus went a little further off and fell to the ground, praying that if it were possible this hour might pass him by. He said, “Abba, you have the power to do all things. Take this cup away from me. But let it be not my will, but your will.”
- Mark 14:32-36, The Inclusive Bible
- Action - When you are out, plan to do a kind gesture for a stranger. Hold a door, pay for a cup of coffee, let them go ahead of you in a queue, etc.
- Action - Plan to write a note or make a call to a person in your life who is grieving or needs to be comforted.
- Action - Recognize you need to be comforted as well. Wrap yourself in a blanket, drink a cup of tea, and do something that brings you peace.
- Fundraiser - you are what keeps the church going. Your presence and participation is important in this community of faith, but we also hope that it has an impact on your life as well. Consider an extra offering this week, as an expression of faith and thanksgiving. Add this amount to your other Lenten challenges to send to the church after Easter.
- Reflection - Put things into perspective. Choose to think of the positive things that have happened to you through this pandemic.
- Reflection - Acknowledge one ungrateful thought and transform it into a grateful one. For example- someone has spoken harshly to you...try to understand the situation from their point of view.
- Action - Challenge yourself to read one book to educate yourself on racial inequality. Suggestions- 21 Things You May Not Know About The Indian Act by Bob Joseph or White Fragility by Robin Diangelo. Share your ideas with friends.
- Reflection - Think of the church members who have died and remember the legacies they have left in our church community.
- Reflection - Thinking of the Garden of Gethsemane, start to plan your garden for spring!
- Kids - What is your favourite book? Tell someone about it.
April 4 - Easter Sunday!!
Celebrate that you made it here! Enjoy that cup of coffee or that glass of wine. Enjoy your Easter dinner!
Arrange to drop off any food bank items or toiletries at the church during the next week.
Add up your Lenten Challenge donations to the church and send your gift via cheque or e-transfer!
And congratulate yourself on participating in the Lenten challenge!
Share your accomplishments with others in the church.